Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Talk given in the Lovell 5th Ward by Rena

June 8, 2014 Talk given in the Lovell 5th Ward by Rena A Croft

Why should we get to know our ancestors? The obvious answer is to provide temple ordinances, the sealing of eternal families – but there is much, much more.

Some answeres might include: “Everyone needs to know where they came from.....
“Sense of belonging”
“To find a connection to a part of something bigger:
“a part of history”

Most important President Monson said: “We discover something about ourselves when we learn about our ancestors.”

Today I would like you to think about a tree. A tree with beautiful green branches, a strong trunk – a big bushy tree & even tho, we can't see them, we know there are just as many or more roots under the ground supporting the tree.

THE ROOTS - are our ancestors – their lives, their experiences, trials, successes, joys – they nourish the tree.
THE TRUNK - is the present – each of you!
THE BRANCHES - are the future generations including our little children of this generation.

What do I learn from my roots - My grandfather, Frank, came from Denmark at the age of 17 – in 1877. he was not a mormon pioneer but he desired land, America was a land of opportunity. My Father sayes he crosses the ocean three times. Why – he was working on the ships so he would have money when he got here. He was a hard worker. He homesteaded land, rocky land. My father remembers one of his childhood chores was to pick rocks in the fields. They were piled under the buck rail fences. The ranch is gone but even today one can tell where the fence lines were by the rocks. I know by the things he did that he was an educated man. He & his wife had 5 children, 4 grew to be adults. He loved his wife & children.

When my mother – his future daughter-in-law first visited the ranch he ask her name. She replied “Hilda Jones” He said, “are you any relation to Josh Jones? He had hauled freight with him. My mother replied “yes, he is my grandfather” He grabbed her & danced her around the room saying, “any relative of Josh Jones is good enough for me!”

He was fun loving & exuberant. He passed away at the age of 69, several months before my parents were married. I am excited to meet him some day & thank him for his courage, his life & maybe even dance with him.

One day we were helping a young man, about 12-13 hears old. He was quite slender, reddish hair & freckles. He wanted so much to be involved in sports, but was small for his age. We searched for records & found a Draft Registration Form which his Great Grand father had filled out prior to World War I. On the back of it was a brief description of him. He was short, slender built, and had a ruddy complexion. The boy perked up, grinned, & said “Maybe I look like him”

Do we learn something about ourselves – that we are okay – Graeat Grandpa made it – even if we are small freckled & red headed!

Another ancestor of Bro. Croft's, Archibald Sinclair & his wife had 13 children. In 12 days they lost 4 child children to diptheria.

Henry & Susanna Heaps were my great-great Grandparents, They amaze me. They embraced the gospel in England. Henry had two brothers who also joined the church. They didn't have enough money for all of them to come to America together. Henry's brother Thomas & his wife came first, bringing with them their three children & two of Henry & Susanna's children, Lorenzo, age 7 & Alice, age 5. They loved them as their own. It was 7 years before Henry & his wife were reunited with Lorenzo now 14 & Alice, 12 & the rest of the family.

Their testimony was great. Their faith was great & they loved the gospel. They were willing to do very difficult things – would I be able to send my children to America, so they could worship & enjoy the blessings of the Gospel.

Now for a more modern day story. My son Allen, shared this experience from a family reunion in the fall of 1999. He was home from his mission, in college, probably 23 at the time. Grandpa Croft, Shawn & Allen were out finishing some painting on the brown horse trailer. Somehow they got on the subject of how busy everyone in the world seems to be, thus justifying working on the Sabbath.

I had never heard much about great grandpa Will Croft but the story grandpa told taught me a real principle about the kind of people both he & Grandpa Croft were. He said that great Grandpa Will never worked or required his crew to work on the Sabbath, even though many other neighbors thought they needed to. He always made sure he had everything done by Saturday evening & did not resume work again until Monday. Sometimes this meant working longer hours to get extra things done. Never once did Grandpa Croft remember him getting behind all the other folks who worked on Sunday & he always had what he needed.

Now I try to follow that example to get everything done before Sunday so I can do what's most important on the Sabbath. Those weeks that I seem to be overwhelmed with assignments & don't think I can get everything done things always work out & I remember what Grandpa told us that day while painting the hubcaps of the brown horse trailer. Thanks, Grandpa!!!

But today 15 years later – both Grandpa's are now the roots. Allen is the trunk & his small children & future grandchildren are the branches. Can you see what I'm saying. Our trials, joys, spiritual moments are the experiences that will help our families.

Elder Foster stated: “A knowledge of past generations blesses future generations. That's why even tho Family History is always about the past – It has to be about the present & the future.”

We have a favorite quote - “Life is Family History” It is happening today, right now. As we learn about our ancestors, we understand more about ourselves, we feel the spirit of Elijah.

Russell M Nelson said: “ the spirit of Elijah is a manifestation of the Holy Ghost bearing witness of the divine nature of the family.” The Holy Ghost has great power.

A sister shared with me: I knew I needed to do their work. I had been taken from the home of my biological parents as a 6 year old, along with four younger siblings. I remember abuse. As I learn about them, this work brought peace to my heart. It was a troubled heart – troubled by abuse, contention fear, even hate. I have found peace. I have learned to love them – I have forgiven them.
The Holy Ghost always brings joy, love, & peace to our hearts.

In a Priesthood meeting where we talked of the power of Photos & Stories, Bishop Wolsey, (the bishop of the ward I was speaking in) has a grandfather who died before he was born. He said he always loved him because of the things he was told about him. There was a picture of him in Family Search which we showed in this meeting. He said, “I saw someone I loved for the very first time. It was a very spiritual experience!

Nephi 17:3 Therefore, go ye unto your homes & ponder upon the things which I have said & ask the Father in my name, that ye may understand & prepare your minds . . . . . . . .


May I bear testimony of the power of this great work. I know with all of my heart that by learning of those who have gone before us, we can draw nearer to our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment